Friday, June 20, 2008

I've never realized

how much I think about what other people are thinking about me
or care about how much other people are thinking about me
And how I look at others and compare myself to them when I feel awkward.

It's weird that this has been the first thing that has moved me in a while,
But ever since I've bought these "ugly, cheap, granny slip-on shoes" that do good called Toms, I've well been moved.
It coulda been the color scheme, I don't know. But they don't bother me, yet they do to everyone else
It makes me wonder how worse it is for the poor, the obese, the awkwardly-sexual oriented, the disabled, etc.
They have something people think are weird that, in a lot of cases, they can't change.
And if people make me feel this bad just for shoes
I couldn't imagine for anyone else frowned upon for situations that don't even begin to describe someone's character.

Honestly, I don't believe that it's truly a big ol' bully's motive for beating kids, but now I understand why it break people down.
I've seen how much this society has gotten into all of our brains.
One thing not socially accepted and people flip because it doesn't look like what they're used to.
I was at two concerts this weekend, and 99% of the guys there were either wearing Vans or Flip-Flops, no lie.
So I took a look at my closet and saw how much I conformed, yet realized that there are so few ways you could not literally "look" like the rest of the world.
I've read over several scriptures and even books telling me to not be sucked into this world, and I had never thought I was
Until I felt out of place because of what other people had said to me.
And I realized that it was only that way because society has made it that way.

And it's only shoes.

It's also surprised me what people I thought had it all figured out in their minds have said
I'm not trying to say I'm better than anyone else or smarter based of their remarks,
because as I mentioned early I have the same flaw
But now I have a bit more respect for those who don't fit the "image"
And I think I'll have to pray for wisdom and a more mature ways of thinking about others
But regardless of what you say, I payed for these shoes, I'm not wasting it, and I think they look fine. I'll wear 'em
And I guess I'll see how bad they really bother people, or maybe see who really isn't going to bother me about it
After all, It's just, shoes. They'll rot and waste away, and won't follow me to heaven, where the most valued things are used for cement, and rust and moth don't break things down.

:)

5 comments:

Katie said...

You're great, Chris!!

Jared said...

Thats awesome bro!! I wouldnt mind getting a pair of the Toms also we could be tom buddies!! haha!

-Jared

::beccaELECTROCUTE said...

you like the dangerous summer
!!!
i don't know anyone besides me who has even heard of them.
but yah...you've got good taste in shoes.
<3 becca.

Alyssa said...

:) You just blow me away, Christopher Metzger.

Mr. Sam said...

hey man....sorry about giving you so much sht on th shoes ha ha my bad.

Much Love