Sunday, May 11, 2008

Momma's Day



Haha, post secret can always give you a laugh. The guy obviously didn't get the memo.

This was a really cool morning. I went to youth group, and then switched it up a bit and tagged along with Ryan to superstition springs. What I loved most about the service was that it was all about the love for your mother, really. There wasn't a catch, or eye candy, it was tugging of the heart strings. The pastor's mother stood up there and went through each of her kids and discussed how her son, the pastor of the church, lead her to Christ when he was about 14 i believe. It was really cool, actually. The part that stuck with me most was when she said that she'd asked her kids "What do you remember most about your childhood." She said he kids never replied "The clean floors, the dirty dishes, cleaning the yard, mopping, sweeping, the windows, the clean bathrooms..." or in other words, the things she really cared about. She said that her kids would always respond "Walking in the rain, the conversations, when we played chutes and ladders for hours on end..." It made me wonder what kind of father i'll be. I realize neither of my parents had even close to a decent childhood, and I can't blame them for reacting the way they do to things now. But i think that when I become a parent, the best way I'll remember to raise my kids is through the way God loves me, right? Sure, God searches the world for a creation that best reflects his love for us, but I think the mothers (and fathers?) got it from Him first. I realize now I'm stealing the glory of mothers day by putting in the father figure bits. haha!

Later in the service, the pastor brought up the name of a group on the ASU east campus called House of Refuge, almost like a bigger version of Hope House (check out both of those), and instead of giving a gift to all of the mothers in the room, all of the mother who have struggled with abuse or poverty were given new beds, a place to sleep. Not just old ones, or donated ones, but new ones. I think that's a great encouragement to someone who wants to turn their life around. I couldn't imagine even would I'd be like if I slept on the floor everyday...

Haha, but anyways, I'm going to go spend time with my mother now! Happy mothers day

oh, and 27 days until Hume!

No comments: